WHO WE ARE: SwipeSense is a healthcare technology company. Our mission is to eliminate Hospital Acquired Infections, a leading cause of death in the United States. We design and market the only comprehensive hand-hygiene compliance monitoring solution which combines sensor networks with wearable technologies to provide a complete, long-term and cost-effective solution for healthcare institutions.
SwipeSense is a high-growth venture backed company headquartered in Chicago, IL
WHO WE NEED: SwipeSense handles large-scale distributed IoT hardware networks that produce massive amounts of real-time sensor data. We’re looking for a full-stack engineer who is excited about designing and building at scale with the future of big data solutions in-mind. At SwipeSense, big data means BIG data. We’re not talking about millions of data points and gigabytes of storage; we’re tackling billions of data points and terabytes of data per day with the eventual goal of handling petabyte-scale data workloads. At SwipeSense, we like to live on the bleeding edge – we are always questioning and rebuilding core components of our platform to meet the scaling demands of the future. As a member of a small team, your ideas will carry weight; you should have strong opinions around what you’re building and how it’s being built.
PRIMARY ROLE: Conceptualize and develop components of the SwipeSense cloud (AWS) stack to collect streaming sensor data and display hospital compliance data in real-time. This role has wide breadth, and will tackle a variety of technologies – SQL optimization on the database backend, supporting our Ruby on Rails CMS, API design and implementation (we use JSON API), algorithm development, and hacking on our customer facing analytics app - a React SPA.
- Share in the evolution and design of the data ingest platform by sharing, prototyping, and building new technologies to optimize or completely replace existing platform components.
- Assist with algorithm development to transform real-time IOT sensor data into customer insights.
- Develop and maintain portions of the Ruby on Rails API along with its various background processing tasks and job queues.
- Develop scalable technical solutions that respond well to high-concurrency workloads.
- Develop in React on the frontend to display real-time data in an elegant fashion through an intuitive SPA.
- Provide thorough regression tests and alerting procedures to provide resiliency to new features.
- Optimize existing code to lower object allocations and improve throughput.
- 5+ years of related full-time experience.
- Bachelors in Computer Science or Computer Engineering or equivalent experience.
- Strong SQL-fu i.e. comfortable writing pure SQL queries with complex joins and conditions while considering transaction isolation levels and concurrency.
- Experience with writing performant, optimized code for large scale applications (N+1 queries should give you conniptions)
- Experience with MVC frameworks and an understanding of RESTful APIs.
- A focus on consistent code style, full-coverage testing, team coding conventions, and separation of concerns.
- Experience working in an agile development environment.
- Comfort in developing in a terminal-heavy Linux/Mac environment.
- Git for version control and GitHub for pull-request based workflow.
- Excellent communication skills - plays well with others, ping pong skills optional.
NICE TO HAVE:
- Familiarity with AWS as a platform along with its various services.
- Experience contributing to shared devops concerns such as CI servers, and automated deployment.
- Familiarity with the Hadoop ecosystem and related tools.
- Familiarity with container-based infrastructure with Docker.
- Contributions to open-source projects.
- Experience with data visualization and analytics.
TOOLS WE USE:
If you’ve ever contributed to an open-source project on GitHub, you’ll be right at home at SwipeSense.
- CircleCI for continuous integration and deployment
- SumoLogic for log analysis, alerting, and metrics
Please note: position is full-time, at our Chicago headquarters. Must be local or willing to relocate. Must be a US Citizen, or a foreign citizen with required work visa. M/F/D/V